Currently recruiting for an Operating Room Technician / Surgical Technician / Surgical Technologist to work in Bethesda, Maryland at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. This position supports medical care to Active Duty military members, their family members and retirees. The Operating Room Technician, position is full-time working 8-hour or 10-hour shift (40 hours per week) Monday - Friday, between the hours of 6:45AM - 5:15PM.
DUTIES OF THE OPERATING ROOM TECHNICIAN:
- This is a Training Hospital. The candidate shall share knowledge by training students, new orienteering and cross training experienced Surgical Technicians.
- The candidate shall complete daily evaluation reports as needed by supervisor
- Ensure a safe and sterile environment for surgical procedures. Prepare a patient for surgery; arrange Operating Room (OR) equipment, instruments, and supplies accord to the preference of the surgeons and nurses.
- Be conscientious, orderly, and emotionally stable in order to handle the demands of surgeons. Respond quickly and have knowledge of various operating room procedures.
- Work as an integral part of the healthcare team alongside surgeons, nurses, anesthesiologists, and other personnel before, during and after surgery.
- Adjust and test equipment, prepare the patient for surgery, and help to connect surgical equipment and monitoring devices. Scrub and put on gown and gloves, prepare the sterile setup for the appropriate procedure and assist other members of the team with gowning and gloving’
- As directed by the surgeon, sponge or suction the operative site, prepare suture material, dispense appropriate fluids and drugs, and prepare specimens for subsequent pathologic analysis.
- After the operation, apply dressings and prepare the OR for the next case.
- Participate in staff meetings and conferences as scheduled by the OIC of the work site. These tasks are accomplished in conjunction with routine work. Have a working knowledge of the surgical scheduling system (S3) to be able to schedule surgeries and pull reports when needed.
QUALIFICATIONS OF THE OPERATING ROOM TECHNICIAN:
- Possess a minimum of three years of experience within the previous five years as a surgical technologist. The candidate must also have at least one year of experience in the following surgical specialties: Orthopedic Spine; Neurosurgery; GYN Surgery; Obstetrics; Ophthalmology; Urology; Da Vinci Surgery.
- Graduate from Surgical Technology program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) or completion of a formal training program provided by any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force) for surgical technicians, surgical technologists or operating room technicians.
- Certified as a Surgical Technologist (CST) from the Association of Surgical Technologists (AST).
- BLS is required.
- U.S. Citizen (for access to Government computer systems)
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Competitive pay
- 10 days paid time off per year plus 7 sick days per year
- 10 paid Federal holidays
- Health & Welfare allowance mostly covers the cost of health insurance, long and short-term disability, and life insurance
- Dental and vision plans offered, 401(k)
ABOUT THE ARORA GROUP
The Arora Group is an award-winning, Joint Commission-certified nationwide healthcare services company that, for over 30 years, has provided medical care for the men and women who serve our country in the U.S. Armed Forces. Our mission is to provide world-class care and give our over healthcare professionals opportunities to improve their skills, learn from the best, and serve the needs of active duty service members, their families, and veterans.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability