Psychiatric Technician to work in the Behavioral Health Clinic or sub-clinics (SARP, Deployment Wellness) at Naval Medical Center Camp Lejeune, Jacksonville, North Carolina, providing care to Active Duty heroes, their families, and retirees. Psychiatric Technician is a F-T position, working 8 or 10 hr shifts, Mon - Fri, between 6AM - 8PM.
DUTIES OF THE PSYCHIATRIC TECHNICIAN
- Regularly interface with staff and patients to assess needs and continuously improve the quality of service delivered.
- Demonstrate sound psychiatric nursing theoretical and practical approaches in providing patient care.
- Demonstrate a sound understanding and assists in the management of a therapeutic milieu; providing structure, social support, patient education, safety, and social skills training.
- Monitor, escort, and/or act as a therapeutic participant in patient activities in the outpatient psychiatric clinic and outpatient programs.
- Utilize therapeutic assessment and interview skills to elicit accurate and concise accounts of the patient’s condition. Document patient care.
- Utilize sound judgment and crisis intervention skills, including physical restraint, to prevent or reverse situations that may be potentially harmful. Follow command and clinic specific policies for Seclusion/Restraint, Elopement and Management of the Assaulted patient.
- Exhibit a basic knowledge of psychotropic medications including actions, side effects and common dosages. Follow command policies and procedures for the administration and documentation of scheduled and PRN medications. Inform the mental health provider in charge of any errors, discrepancies, or adverse patient reactions.
- Screen patients to determine presenting problems and priority of appointment. This may entail telephone triage or in-person evaluation. Perform basic assessment procedures, including initial screening evaluation and standardized psychological testing.
- Assist in providing specialized treatment and rehabilitation of mental health patients. Assist in conducting individual and group therapy sessions. Observe, monitor, report, and record patient interaction and progress.
- Explain and interpret mental health services and procedures to access care to patients and commands. Assist in or arrange for patient referral to other facilities for alternate level of care.
- Provide care to mentally ill or emotionally disturbed patients and participate in rehabilitation and treatment programs.
QUALIFICATIONS OF THE PSYCHIATRIC TECHNICIAN:
- Possess current certification as a Psychiatric Technician by the American Association of Psychiatric Technicians OR possess evidence of completion of Military Psychiatric Technician Training or Equivalent OR possess an Associate of Arts degree in a behavioral science, or a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, or a degree in Sociology or behavioral science related field.
- Possess a minimum of 1 year full-time experience within the preceding 2 years as a Psychiatric Technician in a mental health setting.
- Must be U.S. citizen (for access to Gov't computer systems)
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:• Competitive pay
• 10 days paid time off per year plus 7 sick days per year
• 10 paid Federal holidays
• Health & Welfare allowance covers the cost of health insurance, long and short-term disability, and life insurance
• Dental and vision plans offered, 401(k)
ABOUT THE ARORA GROUP:
The Arora Group is an award-winning, Joint Commission-certified nationwide healthcare services company that, for almost 30 years, has provided medical care for the men and women who serve our country in the U.S. Armed Forces. Our mission is to provide world-class care and give our healthcare professionals opportunities to improve their skills, learn from the best, and serve the needs of active duty service members, their families, and veterans.