Spectrum Healthcare Resources has an opportunity for a civilian Registered Nurse, in support of Ft. Belvoir, for our Dumfries, VA Health Center.
This position provides nursing services primarily in support of pediatric patient care and treatment.
- Able to perform a wide variety of nursing functions, requiring broad knowledge of many nursing specialties to include medical, surgical, obstetrical, gynecological, pediatric and psychiatric. Assesses health care needs for family members of active duty and retired military members of all ages. Triage patients, eliciting needed information to determine the nature and urgency of health problems. Evaluated patients, directs patients to the appropriate level of care and provides pertinent patient education.
- Facilitates telephone communication between health care providers and patients. Provides telephonic nursing advice as appropriate.
- Assist with clinic procedures and is resource person for nursing procedures and technical guidance. Collaborates and plans for comprehensive health care with other healthcare team members.
- Functions as resource person and facilitate for patients, helps acquaint patient with available community resources, ensure continuity of care and coordination of patient services.
- Assists nursing staff in performance of basic nursing care procedures. Evaluates effectiveness of nursing care through patient follow-up, chart review and discussion with fellow professionals.
- Provides professional nursing care to all eligible beneficiaries, and provides health information and referral to other appropriate community services. Performs comprehensive nursing care to include the following: screens and triages the patients according to acuity and /or the communicable nature of the illness and uses professional knowledge and judgment to determine which patients require the physician’s immediate attention and in which order the others should be seen by the physician. Performs initial assessment, history taking and evaluation of patient’s condition, i.e. emergency or routine. Performs partial physical exam, which may include temperature, pulse, respiration, blood pressure, weight and height, throat culture, neurological assessment, respiratory assessment lung sounds, and vision test. Assesses psychological behavior/development level.
- Set up equipment and instruments and assist health care providers in examinations and procedures, as specified in clinic policies. Prepares patients for examinations and assists during examinations. Monitor’s patient’s physical and emotional status during and after procedure. Ensures appropriate clinical record documentation is accomplished. Obtains specimens and performs procedures i.e. venipuncture, catheterization, intravenous fluid administration, wound care, ear irrigations, etc.
- Assist with ongoing inspection of patient care areas to insure comfortable, orderly, clean and safe environment for patients and staff. Assists with the following: Cleaning of instruments used for procedures; cleaning of rooms post exam procedure; removal and disposal of soiled and contaminated material/disinfecting area, changing linen; washing and assembling of instruments for sterilization; replenishing supplies and equipment as needed; checking expiration dates; performing general maintenance duties/cleaning utility rooms.
- Shall have completed a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing (BSN) from an accredited college or university; and/or graduate of an accredited National League of Nursing (NLN) School.
- Have and maintain a current and valid state license (with no limitations, stipulations, or pending adverse actions) to practice as a Registered Nurse in one of the 50 States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, or the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Two years related nursing experience required and pediatrics experience preferred.
- Have and maintain current certification in Basic Cardiac Life Support (BLS).
- Shall be able to read, write, and speak English well enough to effectively communicate with patients and other staff members.
- Have knowledge of computer operations and proficiency in the use of basic word processing, data entry, and automated records.
Spectrum Healthcare Resources (SHR) was established in 1988 to deliver systems and processes designed to meet the unique needs of Military and VA Health Systems. SHR is a leading organization that provides physician and clinical staffing and management services to United States Military Treatment Facilities, VA clinics and other Federal Agencies through various contracting vehicles. A Joint Commission Health Care Staffing Services firm, SHR is the military staffing division of TeamHealth, a Nationwide organization that serves 850 civilian and military hospitals with a team of 9,600 affiliated health care professionals.
Spectrum Healthcare Resources is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.